WELCOME TO KIDS INC KC
We are thrilled that you found us and are ready to start on a healing journey. Our therapists are trained in several modalities (talk, play, CBT, ACT,EMDR, strengths based and trauma-informed) and specialties, to effectively address your children’s needs. We provide a safe and supportive space to process, work through and manage difficlut feelings. We offer counseling to children (as young as 3), teens and families providing a route to wellness. We empower children and families as they experience difficult life transitions.
WHAT IS PLAY THERAPY?
Play therapy is the art of understanding, interpreting, engaging, and enjoying play with children. Children’s play is the most natural way that children express their feelings, thoughts, and emotions.
A play therapist is trained specifically to understand child’s play, and s/he is trained to understand the free associations that children make while moving from toy to toy. A play therapist is trained to understand the symbolism behind each toy with which the child plays, and is trained to help a child understand his/her innermost feelings and thoughts. The play therapist is also specifically trained to use a myriad of theoretical orientations to help children and their families fully address and resolve painful life situations.
TIPS TO BUILD AND NURTURE EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE IN CHILDREN:
- Use a wide variety of emotional words, teach them to label their emotions from a very young age.
- Validate their feelings (this doesn’t mean you always agree with them however, you can empathize). Let them know that they are seen and heard.
- When reading stories (or watching movies), discuss the feelings of the characters.
- See emotions as an opportunity to teach, connect and model.
- Use active listening when your child is showing big emotions.There are no
- Teach problem solving skills (instead of always rushing in to solve their problems)